Monday, January 11, 2010

You can basiate my pinus.

Latin is a dirty, dirty language. Even the (wonderful) teacher of the first class I ever entered couldn't stop giggling, just a little bit , at the Latin pronunciation practice of stressing the penult. Basically, if the penult was long by nature or position, you stressed it, if the penult was short, you didn't.

Which position? Personally, I think it would go for some heavy duty doggy.

It doesn't stop there. It almost never does. When the spotlight of enforced spontaneous translation flared towards me today, I almost couldnt keep myself from breaking down in equally spontaneous chuckles. Why? Goddamn it all to hell; because of this charming little sentence -- "Mea pinus succisa erat." Turns out that pinus doesn't mean...well...you know.

It actually means "Pine."

Brings a whole new meaning to the word "woody," don't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment